The 2017 Axe HyperWhip Fusion bat is the full year iteration of the 2016 Axe Element HyperWhip Fusion barrel released late in the 2016 season. Compared to that version, the material has been strengthened for durability’s sake. Otherwise, there are no upgrades with the obvious exception of the color. That said, we reiterate the things we learned from the 2016 Axe Element Hyperwhip in this 2017 Axe Hyperwhip Review.
2017 Axe Hyperwhip Fusion Comparable Bats
Aside from the 2016 model with the name Axe Element Hyperwhip, there really are not comparable bats to the 2017 Hyperwhip Fusion. Sure, there are single piece aluminum bats with an extended end cap, but none of those have the asymmetric knob or endcap.
If we were stretching, we’d suggest the 2017 Louisville Slugger 617 Solo. That is also a single piece aluminum with an extended end cap that only comes in a BBCOR. As well, the 2017 VELO from Rawling has a similar intent as a single piece aluminum with the extended composite end cap for a light swing. The VELO has the benefit of other size options outside of BBCOR. However, neither of those bats come with the ergonomic knob nor the barrel made for one-sided hitting.
2017 Axe Hyperwhip Fusion Recommendations
We Would Recommend Because…
Although still early in the 2017 bat season, we think of the 2017 HyperWhip Fusion as Axe’s marquee bat for 2017. We don’t know if it will be, but we think it should be their best seller in the BBCOR space. A few reasons drive this:
- The price point makes more sense than many two piece composites ($299 MSRP here).
- The light swing and good sized barrel compare well to any bat on the market.
- Single piece aluminum bats are in vogue as hitters want a wood-like experience with power. The 2017 Axe HyperWhip Fusion delivers on this.
- The Axe Handle makes sense, and one-sided hitting with predictive contact is brilliant.
We Would Hesitate If…
Lack of sizing could force many to miss out. We wish the bat was offered in a 30-inch as many 14 and 15 year olds need as light a swing as possible. (Of note, the smallest VELO size is a 31-inch too, but the 617 Slugger comes in a 29-inch). We would hope, as well, a big barrel 2 5/8 or 2 3/4 is in the works.
The EndoGrid knob and ergonomic feel of the Axe handle do dampen handsting, but not like a two piece composite does. Some hitters might find that a deal breaker.
2017 Axe Hyperwhip Fusion Sizing
The Hyperwhip fusion is only released in a BBCOR for 2017. Sizing starts at a 31 and goes through a 34-inch. This is the same sizing as the 2016 Axe Element HyperWhip.
2017 Axe Hyperwhip Fusion Sources
2017 Axe Hyperwhip Fusion Construction
We cover the intricacies of the Axe Hyperwhip in our 2016 review on the Axe Element. For that discussion, we point you there. The 2017 and 2016 models are identical aside from color. Here we give some short overviews on the very unique construction of the 2017 Hyperwhip Fusion.
- Asymmetric Knob for fast bat speed
- Barrel designed with one-sided hitting in mind
- EndoGrip knob for lessened vibrations
- Asymmetric end cap for decreased swing weight
- A 3-inch-ish composite end cap fused into the aluminum barrel for a lighter swing