Our 2017 Marucci Pure Fastpitch Review comes on the heels of a few hours cage work, discussions with the manufacturer and reading every user rated review available on the internet. We found, on the whole, the bat performed as well as any performance fastpitch bat we’ve seen in the space. Our players in the 2, 3, 5 and 6 spots in the line up preferred it’s balanced swing and sting dampening to other heavier swinging bats.
We recommend the bat to good and great fastpitch players who need as much performance from their bat as possible. Those willing to try a relatively new bat in the balanced two piece composite fastpitch space will feel right at home. (Amazon Price Check)
2017 Marucci Pure Construction
The Marucci Pure is constructed of two pieces: handle and barrel. Both are composite material. The barrel is as long as they allow in the fastpitch space. It is connected to the handle similar to how the 2017 Marucci CAT Connect does their connection. Which is, the handle screws into the handle. The threaded material making the connection is designed to dissipate vibration between the barrel and handle.
Other companies fuse the two pieces of the bat together somewhat differently with the same intent: minimize hand sting on mishits and encourage a buttery feel on big hits. Our batting cage time confirmed this is true with the Marucci Pure. Their connective design (which they refer to as SDX) does a very good job of producing creamy jacks on dead center hits and dampens vibration on mishits. Better than other performance designs on the market we are not so sure—but as good as anything we’ve tested to date. (And we’ve tested a lot).
Notes: Fastpitch Two Piece Composite Comparisons
Every serious performance bat company playing in the fastpitch space has a two piece composite designed bat as their flagship stick. Some differences are noted in three areas:
- Swing weights: Some of these bats have a balance point more towards the hands (often called balanced) while other put the balance point more towards the end cap (often called end-loaded).
- The length of the barrel is similar in all two piece performance bats, but the real measure of a bat’s impressiveness is in the performance of the barrel along it’s length. Better bats perform as well outside the middle of the barrel as they do in dead center of the sweet spot.
- How a companies fuse the handle and barrel together often differs wildly. Each attempts to dampen sting on mishits while still delivering appropriate energy to the ball through a finely tuned transition.
2017 Marucci Pure Videos
2017 Marucci Pure Comparable Bats
You have no shortage of bats comparable to the 2017 Marucci Pure. As we mention above, every major player in the performance softball space has a two piece composite fastpitch bat with a focus on a balanced swing and an over-sized barrel. Easton, for example, has the MAKO. DeMarini has the CF9. Louisville Slugger’s is the XENO and LXT Hyper. Worth makes a 2 Legit. There are likely some others.
We often get dizzy deciphering between them all.
If your hope is to find a performance bat, with their accompanying pricetag, in the two piece composite fastpitch market who has a focus on a large barrel and a light swing the Marucci Pure is 100% on that list.
2017 Marucci Pure Recommendations
We would recommend the 2017 Marucci Pure to hitters who fit in at least one of the categories below:
- Prefer or need a light swinging performance fastpitch bat.
- Are willing to afford a high performance fastpitch bat market pricing.
- Hit in the 1, 2, 3 or 5 holes in a traditional line up.
- Are comfortable with a new product with some new technology (SDX) from a company known to produce high quality gear.
- Need maximum production from a bat in a long season (35+ games).
2017 Marucci Pure Sizing
The Marucci Pure is released in both a drop 10 and drop 11. (The drop, you should know, is the numerical difference between the bat’s length measured in inches and the bat’s weight measured in ounces. A 31 inch drop 11 weighs, for example, 20 ounces). The drop 11 comes in a 29 through 31 inch length and is designed for the younger crowd.
The drop 10 comes in a 27 through 34 and is designed like this:
Be the first to leave a review.